Blast from the past: Japanese tuned 440x2,

Posted by: KofordSmoke459

Blast from the past: Japanese tuned 440x2, - 08/01/09 09:05 PM

Sold by NRS (Nihon Racing Systems). I'm assuming the braided pickups were meant for the braided Puma tracks that were popular over there. Foam tires!! nilly
Posted by: wade

Re: Blast from the past: Japanese tuned 440x2, - 10/28/09 03:31 PM

Blast from past 440x2: I have two that look like these dated from the 80s, when auto world was still in business.[where I purchased them] The dull unpolished green armatures look just like these, and are balanced and labeled 'rocket'. The motor magnets are identical; not sure what they were. I have ajs mounted/threaded silicones on them, and polymer traction magnets, and they both seem to be as fast, or faster than the wizzard green wire car that I also have. They also handle great, but not like the wizzard. Now, I just dont know if the ones in picture have the rocket, or maybe jet armatures....but they sure look like it. With hindsight, at the time...these were guaranteed to be the fastest hop-up you could do for an ho car. Quote auto world. Wish I still had those magazines! Wade

Re: Blast from the past: Japanese tuned 440x2, - 12/23/09 03:44 PM

Cool. I figured someone would like seeing the pictures. I can actually buy these still out of Japan but they're stupid expensive by the time my fowarding agent over there gets done with me. I miss seeing green epoxy (Hysol?) coated arms in all scales. Something about them has just always been neat to me. Traps heat terrible amounts, though...

Re: Blast from the past: Japanese tuned 440x2, - 12/25/09 02:06 PM

I understand what you are talking about them being expensive. They were ALWAYS expensive. If memory serves me correctly, the magnets/rocket armature combo would set you back around $50 bucks....and that was a lot for the eighties, out of auto world....just for hop up parts. Was wondering if you remember what kind of magnets those were. Tremendously strong. They were silver with colored markings on the ends. I never had a heat problem, however. I run them sparingly now, as I tend to value them more than before. I have perfect bodies on them and intend to keep them that way. Wade

Re: Blast from the past: Japanese tuned 440x2, - 12/27/09 08:08 AM

Yeah, these would be about $120 to $150 each. I'd bring some in to sell on eBay but I don't think anyone is going to pay even what I'd have in them.

I'm assuming the motor magnets were just plated neo. Either that or plated cobalt (but I'm not sure sumarium-cobalt can be plated).

I actually get bodies from the same person in Japan who has these cars. He has all sorts of really nice, detailed lexan bodies of various Japanese cars. I think the molds might originally have been from Puma or NHS..I'm not sure..I don't know that much about either. confused

Re: Blast from the past: Japanese tuned 440x2, - 12/30/09 04:30 PM

Thanks. Interesting. Unbelievable pricing.