Racing Under the Lights!

Posted by: RichD

Racing Under the Lights! - 07/30/10 07:16 PM

My track will be configured as an oval for the first of two races that I am hosting this season. I thought it would be cool to light the track with LEDs and turn down the room lights. I built four units with two LEDs each and placed them inside one 24 inch radius turn. The light actually looks a bit brighter than it appears in the picture, I did not fuss with the exposure time. The only other light in the room was from a light up in a stairwell at the other end of the track. The second picture is overexposed, but it does show the lights themselves clearly. It will be up to the guys in my club if they would race on the track like this. I decided that a total of 18 light poles will be needed, so I need to make another 14 lights. Each unit costs about $3.

Posted by: Pa hammer

Re: Racing Under the Lights! - 07/30/10 11:13 PM

That's raelly cool looking.
Posted by: Pa hammer

Re: Racing Under the Lights! - 07/30/10 11:13 PM

That's really cool looking.

Re: Racing Under the Lights! - 08/08/10 09:08 PM

Here is what I have for now. The hobby shop is out of styrene tubing, so it will be a little while before I can finish the last five lights. In any case the lights can't be installed until the track gets converted to an oval. When I took the pictures I only had a little room light coming from the left (driver's) side of the picture that shows the whole track. I tried to adjust the exposure to show how things actually look.

Re: Racing Under the Lights! - 06/21/11 10:11 AM

This is the track with the rest of the lights installed.

Here is a video of racing under the lights.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v12/SLOTRICH/?action=view&current=sizzler.mp4
Posted by: Lynn

Re: Racing Under the Lights! - 07/12/11 11:27 PM

This is really neat! Would you be willing to share exactly how you made these light and possibly a list of materials. I am interested in how you made them so inexpensve.

Great Job!!

Re: Racing Under the Lights! - 08/03/11 09:32 AM

Good thing I checked here! See this for a detailed article on how I built the lights.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...k3&hl=en_US