Hi guys, this is TENNESSEE. It's been a while since I have posted. I have been quite busy with teaching and coaching soccer with only a little time for racing slot cars here and there. My father came up with the idea of rerunning the 1964 Southern 500 from Darlington on my MaxTrax Oval on Labor Day weekend. This will be the feature race! However, the modified and Trans-Am Superstock (VHORS Rules) should be a blast! I told my dad I would post the info here for him. We have a growing list of attendees ranging from the Northeast to the Southeast and some great sponsors that dad has been recruiting. Permatex and Daimler Chrysler have jumped on board with some really neat prizes worth some serious $$$ inclduing jackets, hats, die cast, radios, banners, and other really neat stuff. I also understand from dad that Wizzard High Performance, MEV, JW, and others have jumped on board as well. This should be a really fun event and We'd like to take this opportunity to invite you down to the hills of Northeast, Tennessee. We are located about just south of Johnson City. Below, I have pasted details that my father has typed up. The Track pics can be found at
http://www.thunderjetracing.com/tracks_of_mopar_mountain.htm

Thanx, Ron "TENNESSEE" Fields Jr.

The list is growing? just added 2 more names and another state? that is 10 states now that will be represented so far?
get your number and driver?
Here is the entry list so far for the race Labor Day weekend. We have entries now from, TN, KY, IN, OH, WV, VA, NC, CT, AND GA.. & FL ? THIS COULD BE A REAL EXCITING WEEKEND?.

SOUTHERN 500 ENTRY LIST

## YR CAR DRIVER ENTERED BY ST

0 62 FORD FRANK GRAHM
3 64 DODGE BUCK BAKER MIKA MALEHORN VA
1 64 MERC BILLY WADE

01 63 MERC ED LIVINGSTON

02 63 MERC CURTIS CRIDER

03 64 DODGE LE ROY YARBOROUGH

O4 64 PONT HB BAILY

5 64 DODGE EARL BALMER

6 64 DODGE DAVID PEARSON

06 64 FORD CALE YARBROUGH GARY BUTNER WV

7 64 FORD BOBBY JOHNS HOMER STILLWELL GA

9 64 CHEV ROY TYNER

09 62 CHEV ROY MAYNE PHIL EYSTER TN

10 64 FORD BUDDY BAKER

11 64 FORD NED JARRETT MILT SURRAT NC

13 63 CHEV SMOKEY YUNICK ?? J/M DARMAN CT

13 64 FORD BUD HARLESS

16 64 MERC DARREL DERINGER

19 64 FORD LARRY THOMAS

22 64 FORD FIREBALL ROBERTS GREG CARPENTER KY

25 64 PLYM PAUL GOLDSMITH

26 64 DODGE BOBBY ISAAC MIKE GREGG TN

26 64 FORD CURTIS TURNER J/M DARMAN CT

27 63 CHEV JUNIOR JOHNSON

27 64 FORD JUNIOR JOHNSON MIKE FIELDS TN

28 64 FORD FRED LORENZEN CLAIMED ?

29 62 PONT CLAIMED ?

29 63 FORD NELSON STACY J/M DARMAN CT

34 63 CHEV WENDELL SCOTT J/M DARMAN CT

36 63 DODGE MAJOR MELTON

41 64 PLYM JIM PASCHAL RON FIELDS JR TN

42 63 PONT BILL MC MAHAN

43 64 PLYM RICHARD PETTY RON FIELDS SR TN

45 63 MERC BUD MOORE SPENC WILKENSON VA

46 63 PLYM Little BUD MOORE ROGER CORRIE VA

46 63 CHEV JT PUTNEY

48 63 FORD BOBBY KECK

49 64 FORD GC SPENCER

52 62 CHEV EJ TREVETTE

53 63 FORD BOB COOPER

54 64 PLYM JIM PARDUE JOE CAPONARO NC

55 64 FORD TINY LUND

58 64 CHEV DOUG MOORE

60 64 FORD DOUG COOPER

63 63 FORD DON HUME

64 64 FORD ELMO LANGLEY JON KROPCZYNSKI KY

71 63 FORD SAM MC QUAGG

76 64 FORD LARRY FRANK

82 64 PONT BUNKIE BLACKBURN

86 62 CHRY NEIL (SOAPY) CASTLES

88 62 CHRY JIMMY HELMS

???? ?????????? SARGE FL

???? ??? MIKE VITALE GA

NO ONE MAKES A CHRYSLER SO YOU MAY SUBSTITUTE A DODGE OR PLYMOUTH FOR THE MODEL YEARS 62, 63 OR 64

Bodies are available from rcorrie@peoplepc.com , MEV, RRR, I?m sure there are others so let me know and I will add them to the list?

Decals: http://www.hocustom.com/vintagedecals.htm

Sr

MOPAR MOUNTAIN MOTORPLEX
PRESENTS
the re-running of the
1964 ?Southern 500? from Darlington, SC

also

PERMATEX 300 FOR MODIFIEDS & TRANS AM RACE

Wed Sept 1 ? Fri Sept 3 doors open 10 am till 11 pm for practice
We ask local racers to try and practice during the week or the weekend before, so we can give those traveling a great distance the track Sat morning.

Sat Sept 4 practice 8 am till 1 pm

1:00 pm meeting and introduction

1:30 pm qualifying ?. Will determine starting spot for all races.. qualifying order will be determined by drawing numbers.

Immediately after qualifying the start of the TRANS AM race

Each racer will race 30 minutes each? 7 min 30 seconds in each lane?

Since this is a timed race their will be no restarts or track calls ? anyone with a problem remove your car to the pits for repairs.. red flag will only be thrown should there be a track problem. 1:30 lane rotation.

Sun Sept 5

10 am PERMATEX 300 for MODIFIEDS (1960?s era)

75 lap heats after all heats have been run if 300 laps has not been reached then the leading 4 drivers will pick a lane and stay in it until 300 laps is reached?. Leader gets 1st choice, then 2nd, 3rd 4th.

2pm 1964 Southern 500 ?. 125 lap heats .. after all heats have been run if 500 laps is not reached the 4 leading drivers will pick a lane and stay in it until 500 laps is reached. Leader gets 1st choice, then 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

THE TRACKS
for the Southern 500 and Permatex 300 will be the 36 foot MAX TRAX oval.

for the TRANS AM a 70 foot road course featuring the ?CRAZIES? and a 12? elevation change. IF YOU NEED PICTURES EMAIL ME..

The Rules

for the Southern 500?.. any Full size American Stock Car body for the 1962, 1963, or 1964 model years as run by NASCAR/USAC/ARCA? must have front and rear windows?. Hard or Resin bodies may substitute painted glass with clear glass, of substantial thickness ? bodies may be lowered and wheel wells trimmed for clearance. No added weights. Wheels must be plastic or metallic stock or stock replacement small hub. Tires size: minimum .350 max .380.

Chassis.. will be stock tjet?must remain stock in all aspects.. max magnet strength 170** .. min ohms 15. Gear plate rails may be trimmed. Magnets may be held in place by non-metallic means. Pick up shoes may be altered for limited travel but contact patch with the rail must remain stock.

NASCAR FEATHERLITE MODIFIEDS formally the
?MODIFIED/SPORTSMAN DIVISION?

STOCK TJET OR TUFF ONES CHASSIS. ANY STOCK TJET, AFX, JL MAGNETS. NO NEO OR POLYMERS OF ANY KIND. AFX, TUFF ONE ARMS PERMITTED ? ARMATURES MIN OF 5 OHMS. ANY PICK-UP SHOES AND SHUNTS PERMITTED. MINIMUM WEIGHT 18 GRAMS, MAX WEIGHT 21 GRAMS. NO HANDLING PANS, NO RESTRICTIONS ON GEARS, BODIES ARE TO BE ANY AMERICAN HARD/RESIN BODY, LATE MODEL, COUPE, COACH FLATBACK ETC?NO FOREIGN, OR SPORTS CAR BODIES ALLOWED.?MUST BE HELD TO THE CHASSIS USING 2 SCREWS AND POSTS IN THE ORIGINAL CHASSIS HOLES. GLUE ON POST PERMITTED? IN OTHER WORDS YOU CAN GLUE POST IN ANY BODY? GLASS MAY BE REMOVED, FRONT FENDERS MAY BE REMOVED... REAR FENDERS MAY BE TRIMMED?.. NO LOWERING RESTRICTIONS EXCEPT THE DRIVER AND PASSENGER COMPARTMENT MUST BE A COMPLETE ASSEMBLY WITH COMPLETE ROOF. MAX LENGTH 3 INCHES, MAX WIDTH 1.5 INCHES. (RUN ON MAX TRAX OVAL) ANY SIZE WHEEL AND SLIP ON TIRE PERMITTED. LETS SEE SOME INGENUITY AND IMAGINATION HERE?I want this to be a fun class?WANT TO SEE SOME MODIFIEDS FOR EXAMPLES:
www.lasheefs.com www.vintagemodifieds.com

TRANS AM RACE
NO OPEN COCKPIT BODIES PERMITTED, EARLY TRANS AM BODIES WERE MUSTANGS, CORVAIRS, BARRACUDAS, DODGE DARTS, ALFA ROMEO, PORSCHE, ETC?. LATER YEARS THE CAMARO, FIREBIRD, COUGAR, JAVELIN AND CHALLENGER WERE ADDED?WE WILL ALLOW ANY CLOSED COCKPIT BODY FOR THIS RACE?
VHORS SS RULES ARE FOLLOWED FOR THIS CLASS. MAGNETS STRENGTH MAX 170**, ARMS MIN 15 OHMS, ANY WHEEL AND TIRE IS PERMITTED. ANY 9, 12 OR 14 TOOTH GEAR PERMITTED. ANY READILY AVAILABLE BODY FROM ANY MANUFACTURER IS PERMITTED PROVIDING SAID BODY FALLS UNDER THE VHORS GUIDELINES. THE MINIMUM NUMBER OF BODIES PRODUCED RULE DOES NOT APPLY HERE AS LONG AS THE BODY IS NOT A ONE OF A KIND AND I CAN CALL ANY MANUFACTURER AND ORDER ONE. IT HAS A FRONT AND REAR WINDSHIELD AND IS FASTENED TO THE CHASSIS USING 2 SCREWS IN THE ORIGINAL CHASSIS HOLES.

ALL CARS IN ALL CLASSES MUST FIT THROUGH A STANDARD TECH BLOCK WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE MODIFIED CLASS WHICH IS 1.5?

** ANYONE USING STOCK TJET MAGNETS SHOULD HAVE NO TROUBLE.. THE REASON FOR THE 170 STRENGTH IS WE TESTED A COUPLE OF HUNDRED MAGNETS ON OUR BRP TESTER AND FOUND ONLY ONE MAGNET AT 170?.THIS MAGNET WAS TESTED AT 170 AT ABOUT 40 DEGREES AND AT 162 AT ABOUT 70 DEGREES..

Directions:

FROM SOUTH OR WEST I81 EXIT 23 STAY ON 11E BYPASS THROUGH THE TOWN OF GREENEVILLE. CONTINUE EAST APPROX 10 MILES.. JUST PAST MILE MARKER 3, GRACE BRETHERAN CHURCH IS ON LEFT, AT CROSSROAD MAKE LEFT ON OAKLAND RD?. (NOTE ROAD TO RIGHT IS WASHINGTON COLLEGE STATION ROAD). GO 2 STOP SIGNS? MAKE LEFT AT WILLIES GROCERY?. GO ? MILE AND MAKE RIGHT ON CARSON CREEK?. GO ? MILE AND MAKE LEFT ON LUSTER .. GO TO 156.

FROM THE NORTH I81 TO I26 SOUTH TO BOONES CREEK RD (EXIT 38) MAKE RIGHT AT BOTTOM OF RAMP TOWARDS JONESBORO .. MAKE RIGHT ON 11E ? GO APPROX 5 MILES ?JUST PAST HARBOR HOUSE / MT VIEW RESTAURANT MAKE RIGHT ON OAKLAND RD.. GO 2 STOP SIGNS AND MAKE LEFT AT WILLIES GROCERY.. GO ? MILE AND MAKE RIGHT ON CARSON CREEK ? GO ? MILE AND MAKE LEFT ON LUSTER? GO TO 156

APPROXIMATE DRIVING TIMES: GEORGE WASHINGTON BRIDGE 10 HRS,

WASH. DC 8 HRS .. ATLANTA 4.5 HRS LEXINGTON 3 HRS? NASHVILLE 4.5 HRS?. SPARTANBURG SC, 2.5 HRS, ASHEVILLE NC, 1 HR? BECKLEY, WV 4 HRS? CINCINNATTI 4.5 HRS? CHATTANOOGA 3 HRS.. KANSAS CITY 12 HRS

CAMPGROUNDS: DAVY CROCKETT PARK ..5 MILES ..PH 423-257-2167 WITH SHOWERS AND BATH, RIVER FRONT SETTING?.

MOTELS

DAYS INN 11E GREENEVILLE 423-639-2156 15 MILES

COMFORT INN 11E GREENEVILLE 423-639-4185 12 MILES

JAMISON INN 11E GREENEVILLE 423-638-7511 12 MILES

ANDREW JOHNSON INN 11E GREENEVILLE 423-638-8124 14 MILES

OTHER MOTELS ARE AVAILABLE IN JOHNSON CITY .? ABOUT 20 MILES

THOSE THAT HAVE TENTS OR CAMPERS CAN STAY HERE? BUT I CAN?T GUARANTEE HOT SHOWERS? BUT TJET RACERS ARE A TOUGH BREED

ANYONE WANTING TO HELP SPONSOR CONTACT RON SR 423-257-4093

WE WANT TO THANK THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE FOR HELPING TO SPONSOR THE EVENT AND THEIR GENEROUS CONTRIBUTIONS AND PRIZES.

JOHN BALSON, PERMATEX, NATHAN?S FAMOUS, JOHNSONVILLE BRATS,

JDRACING, MOPAR/DAIMLERCHRYSLER, WIZZARD PERFORMANCE, ASHLAND (valvoline) OIL COMPANY, MEV PRODUCTS